Removing Barries to Housing & Independence for Our Veterans
Since 2012, our Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) program in Virginia has provided community-based supportive services to vulnerable veterans and families towards the goal of achieving self-sufficiency, and housing and financial stability.
Using the Housing First Model, the goal of the SSVF program is to promote housing stability among very low-income veteran families who would otherwise be without the support they need. We provide re-housing support to homeless veterans and their families, as well as homeless prevention support for those at risk of losing their housing. Additionally, our case managers assist SSVF participants with accessing Veteran Administration (VA) medical and other vital benefits.
Case Management may be the valued service needed to reduce a barrier keeping a Veteran and his or her family from obtaining or remaining in housing. However, time-limited payments to third parties (e.g., landlords, utility companies, moving companies, and licensed child care providers) may be accessed if these payments help eligible Veterans’ families stay in or acquire permanent housing on a sustainable basis.
- Veteran head of household or spouse with other than dishonorable discharge
- Combined household income must be at 50% or less of the Area Medium Income
- Housing status—must be in permanent housing; homeless and scheduled to obtain permanent housing within 90 days; or, homeless after exiting permanent housing within the last 90 days.
- Case management
- Transportation assistance
- Community service referrals
- Crisis intervention
- Mental health services referrals
- Substance use recovery services referrals
- Referrals for life skills training (e.g., parenting, budgeting, health care and home maintenance)
- Employment resource assistance
- Assistance with securing donations, such as furniture and clothing
- Caroline County
- City of Harrisonburg
- Culpeper County
- Essex County
- Fauquier County
- Fredericksburg City
- King & Queen County
- King George County
- King William County
- Newport News
- Prince William County
- Spotsylvania County
- Stafford County
- Virginia Beach
- Washington County
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday: 9 AM – 5 PM